Law Office of Jennifer M. Alonso, LLC (Immigration) (301) 789-2233

Family Based Petitions

Lawyer Profiles
Family Based Petitions
Employment Based
Detention & Bond
Removal Proceedings
Entry Without Inspection
Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)
U Visas
SIJS (Juveniles)
Processing Times & Visa Wait Times
Legal Links
Contact Us
Although "immigration" means entering a country with the intention of remaining there permanently, the United States Immigration and Citizenship Service ("USCIS") handles both immigration and non-immigration cases (temporary stays).  The following two types of immigration concern individuals who wish to remain in the U.S.


IMMIGRATION THROUGH FAMILY:  Immigrants can have a family member sponsor them in order to enter the country and obtain legal residence here.  However, the U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident must prove the familial relationship and be able to provide support to their immigrating relatives. 

Are you a U.S. citizen?
Immediate Relatives: U.S. Citizens may bring their spouses, children (under 21 and unmarried), and parents to the United States without waiting for a visa to become available. 

U.S. citizens may also sponsor their sons and daughters (over 21 and/or married) or siblings (brothers and sisters), but these relatives must wait for a visa to become available. 

Fiance Visa
.   A U.S. citizen may bring his/her fiance to join him/her here in the U.S.  After your fiance goes through consular processing in his/her home country, you will be united here in the U.S.  The engaged couple then has 90 days from the date of arrival in the United States to get legally married. 

Are you a Permanent Resident?
A resident may only petition for his/her spouse and unmarried children and these relatives must wait for a visa to become available.  An LPR may not petition for his/her parents, siblings (brothers and sisters) or married children.  Once a visa is available for the LPR's relative, they may consular process in their home country, obtain a visa and enter the United States. 

Asylees and Refugees may also petition for their spouses or unmarried children within 2 years of being granted asylum (asylees) or entering the U.S. (refugees).  INA § 208(b)(3), INA § 207(c)(2).


There is a preference system based on the status of the petitioning relative and relationship to the applicant.  Spouses, unmarried children, and parents of U.S. citizens do NOT have to wait for a visa once their petition is approved.  However, all OTHER relatives fall under the preference categories, and these visas sometimes take awhile, sometimes even several years, to be issued.  These categories are as follows:
  1. Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens
  2. Spouses of lawful permanent residents and their unmarried children
  3. Married children of U.S. citizens
  4. Siblings of U.S. citizens

We will assist you in processing your family petition as quickly as possible and make sure everything goes smoothly.  We will advise you on the documents needed to submit along with other requirements, such as medical exams, background checks and fingerprints, and we will be there to answer all the questions you may have.

Child Status Protection Act ("CSPA"): Because of the severe backlog of petitions and the waiting time for processing of family petitions, USCIS enacted the CSPA into law in 2002.  This law states that the determination of whether a child will be eligible as "immediate relative" will be based on the date of the filing of the petition rather than the approval of the petition. 

You may check the Department of State's Visa Bulletin (updated monthly) for an estimate as to how long you may wait for a visa number to become available. 

Department of State Current Visa Bulletin

For further information on specific types of visas and their categories, you may click below to be transferred to the USCIS website.

Immigration Classifications and Visa Categories

Law Office of Jennifer M. Alonso, LLC
1738 Elton Road, Suite 113, Silver Spring, MD  20903
Ph: (301) 789-2233
Fx: (410) 697-6039